Monday, May 11, 2009

Tale of Two Sons

Well, Mother's Day has passed. We stayed home as we all tackle the stomach flu. Luckily, it's a 48 hour variety. We're all about back to 100% today. This Mother's Day has given me a lot to think about. I'm so blessed to have these two little boys. I can no longer remember my life without them. I thought that for today's blog entry, I would tell you a little more about them. First there is Sam (Samuel Ryan), my oldest. He's a nut! He gets away with most of his mischief because he's so stinkin' cute!

He has a million dollar smile and a personality to match. Sam is full of energy. He's not hyper but he's busy. I don't think I see him sit down at all during the day until it's his nap or bed time. Sam takes work to keep up with. He makes me tired just watching him. He's a lot like his father and yet, in so many way, he's just like me. Sam is sensitive and wear his emotions on his face. He's extremely playful but is always available for some serious time if you need a hug or some love.

My favorite Sam story takes place at church. A 10 year old boy was playing with a group of children (all around 3 or 4 yrs old). He was chasing them through the hall and they ran from him giggling. Sam joined in on the fun and was enjoying being chased. The older boy made sure that he was always far enough away to not be able to catch them. It made the kids feel like they were successfully fleeing. Then suddenly the ten year old boy fell down. I think he tripped on his show laces. He was so tired he stayed on the floor for a bit. The other children kept running thinking it was their chance to getaway. Sam stopped, turned around and ran to the boy. He got down on the floor, put his arm around the boy and check to see if he was OK. That's my Sam.
Sam can't see someone cry, sad or in pain without wanting to do something to help. He has a big heart. He is rambunctious, opinionated and will be my conscious when he gets older. Sam needs disciplining to teach him his boundaries and we haven't quite figured out what's going to work on him. We recently started to slap his hand as a way of telling him he's done something wrong. It's not working. He'll do his mischief and when he sees us walking towards him, he tells up to stop and then hits his own hand. What's worse is that now when mom or dad do something wrong he feels that it's his job to slap our hand ever so lightly. Now, even though I don't condone my son hitting me even in jest, it does tell me that he watches everything we do and holds us just as accountable for our actions as we hold him for his.
We've always thought Sam was the perfect son, and then we met Andy...

Andy (Andrew Aaron) was an unexpected change for us as parents. Sam takes work - constantly. Andy doesn't. You wouldn't even know Andy was in the room unless you forget to feed him on time and he let's you know it! Andy is all smiles. In fact, he doesn't like his pacifier because it interrupts his smile! Andy is startled easily, he doesn't like crowds or loud noises...and Andy doesn't love anyone the way he loves his Mama. I know Sam loves me. I'm his mom and will always have a special place in his heart, but with Andy it's different. He looks at me as if I hung the moon. He looks at me as if he can see my soul. There is a bond between us I can't explain. He loves to laugh, he loves to be part of family fun, his spirit can be felt from a distance. He's calm and less social than his brother but he has an older and wiser spirit. I can tell already. Andy is going to be loyal, as a son and a friend. He's going to be gentle and dependable...and he's always going to have a smile that will melt anyone.

We joke in our house than Sam wasn't meant to be the oldest child. If there is a chute in heaven that sends kids to their families in order, Sam cut in line ahead of Andy!

You want to know the best part?! It's only the beginning. I get to see these boys grow into men and know that I play a very delicate part. I've been entrusted with these very special spirits and it's up to me to help them become the men that Heavenly Father wants them to become. I can't wait. I look forward to every second, to every moment, to every laugh and to every memory. I just can't wait.

6 comments:

Richie said...

I haven't forgot about the awards show, and I hope to be sending an invitation soon.

SAYDA said...

Beautiful boys! I love them all the way from Idaho. (Or should I say Uah?) They will be so fun to see grow up. I know they will be each others bestfriend too.
Will Sam be back from his mission when Andy leaves or will there be a couple of months when you have two sons out on the field? Have you even thought about that?

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Erica and Nancy. I know it is late but hadn't been able to get on the computer. You have two beautiful sons.

Love you,

Nyla

Yvonne said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day! Wow Andy has really grown! But then so has Sam! They are both adorable and thank you for sharing they're smiles!

Steph said...

You are so blessed! Isn't it amazing how different your own children can be? Have a great weekend!

BTW, we are hoping to go to Disneyland this year, so pass on any travel tips you have for us!
Love,
Steph

Yvonne said...

Love your new background!