Monday, August 31, 2009

The Tale of Two Families

My heart is heavy tonight. Our trip was interrupted by the news that my aunt Alma (my father's youngest sister) died on Saturday, August 29 (my birthday). I've been inconsolable ever since. I've never been this sad in all of my life. When I was young, she was my dearest friend. She was only three years older than me so we were teenagers together. We shared secrets, posters, memories...everything that reminds me of being a teenager reminds me of her. The story of our families is a special one.

In the early 70's my two sets of grandparents - the Chavez and the Penas - bought houses next door to each other on Balboa Ave. They instantly became the best of friends. The two families were destined to become one. In 1972 my mom (Nancy Chavez) married their oldest son (Rudy Pena). In 1976, my aunt Nellie Chavez married another Pena son, Alvaro. During these years, all of the Chavez kids became close friends with all of the Pena kids. My grandma Chavez used to say that even though she couldn't have asked for her daughters to marry into a better family, she had to move away or all of her grandchildren would have looked alike. That used to always make me laugh as a kid. My cousins Al, Nyla and Ashley and I have always been close since we share the exact same family tree except for our parents. The families have always remained friends. They've reunited for every wedding, every baby born, every occasion...and today they gather to mourn my aunt Alma. It saddens me deeply that I can't be there.
Her untimely passing has taught me about how fragile life is and how we have to appreciate every moment we are given in this life. I will never take the times I get to spend with my family for granted again.
I talked to Alma last Saturday. She was the first person to call Sam for his birthday on the 22nd. I've been struggling emotionally to remember if I told her I loved her that day and tonight, the conversation finally came back to me. I told her I loved her very much and that I was so grateful to her for remembering little Sammy's birthday. She said she loved me too and that she would call me on again on my birthday.
Just like that...without knowing it...I spoke to her for the last time on earth. We just never know when those we love are going to be gone, so don't forget to tell people how much they mean to you while you still can.
I love you Alma and I will miss you everyday.



When I feel better emotionally, I will blog again. I have some great pictures to share. For now, I just need to finish mourning.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Erica,
I haven't been on your blog for a while, but I've been thinking of you and decided to check today. I'm so sorry about losing your dear aunt. I know how good you are at communicating your love and appreciation, so I can imagine she felt that from your last conversation. My prayers are with you and your family.
Love,
Stephenie