It's easy to be homesick when you are away from family and friends, but I'm not just homesick for the people I love. I'm homesick for times I remember. Many, many years ago someone introduced me to the saying "Youth is wasted on the young". It has taken me until now to understand what that truly means. No one tells you when you are young to treasure every Christmas with Grandma because one day she won't be there. No one tells you to look around and capture every holiday moment because moments like those won't last forever. No one tells you to taste grandma's stuffing (even though as a child you think its gross) because one day she won't be around to make it. No one tells you to appreciate moments with your family because one day you will all grow up and have your own families and move away. No one tells you that you will never remember what gift you were given that Christmas, but you will always remember how safe, warm and loved you felt. Why is it that no one tells you these things? Maybe they do and we are just to young to care to pay attention. That's what the quote means. "Youth" is wasted on the young. In other words, as adults, if we could go back in time we would do things right. We just didn't then because we didn't know any better.
So this Christmas I've come to realization that it's more important for me to help my son feel warm, safe and loved because one day, it's all he'll remember. Gifts are fun. Holiday festivities are fun, but nothing means more this Christmas to me than making a memory. Taking a moment to take it all in. If you think about it, our children are our second chance. We get to experience everything all over again through their eyes. And this time, appreciate and treasure it.
Merry Christmas to all of my family. May the memories of the past bring you warmth, may the memories of the present bring you joy, and may the memories yet to come bring you hope and love always. God bless you all.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Merry Christmas!
Beautifully said Erica! I love you and wish you the happiest Christmas!
Post a Comment